The Son of Man came to seek and save that which was lost. It is Jesus' favorite title of Himself. I chosen this title because Jesus loved this title of Himself. We ought to never forget that Jesus is fully God and fully man: two natures in One Person. He is the God-man, the Incarnate Second Person of the Trinity. May we mediate on His life, death, burial, resurrection and ascension that we may be conformed to the image of the divine Son of Man! This blog web site will be a Christian defense of the Reformed doctrines of the Incarnate Son of Man. May all glory be to His name!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Obedience and Repentance

     We are called to an obedient life in Christ Jesus; that is, we ought to obey His moral law.  We fail at times in obeying His moral law, but we have the gift of repentance.  We are not, however, saved by our obedience; that is, we are saved by the obedience of Christ:
“For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.”  (Romans 5:19).
     We are declared righteous by God through Christ; however, we are being made righteous through the Spirit and the Word in sanctification.  Repentance is commanded but it does not save us (Job 42:6); that is, only the life and death of Christ alone saves us (Luke 24:20; Romans 5:19). 
      We ought to keep short accounts with God regarding our sin.  No human person can take us out of the hand of God in John 10:
25Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.  26But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30I and my Father are one.
     His keeping power will lead us to obedience; that is, there is a repenting obedience that God requires of us that we see commanded in the Book of Revelation chapter 2:
5Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
     Obedience is a great treasure of our God because He commands us to do what right; however, it is not always easy to do what is right.  We must repent and please God in this; that is, it is an obedience given to us by His Spirit and Word. 
     Do you repent of your sins?  I state forthrightly that I repent of my sins and keep short accounts with God.  This is what all of us should do.  We ought to redeem the time; that is, renew every time by our renewed obedience. 
“Redeeming the time, because the days are evil” (Ephesians 5:16).
“Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time” (Colossians 4:5).
     We ought to repent because God commands it, but He does not command it to add to the work of Christ alone; that is, He commands it to fulfill all rightdoing in His sight.