The Son of Man came to seek and save that which was lost. It is Jesus' favorite title of Himself. I chosen this title because Jesus loved this title of Himself. We ought to never forget that Jesus is fully God and fully man: two natures in One Person. He is the God-man, the Incarnate Second Person of the Trinity. May we mediate on His life, death, burial, resurrection and ascension that we may be conformed to the image of the divine Son of Man! This blog web site will be a Christian defense of the Reformed doctrines of the Incarnate Son of Man. May all glory be to His name!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

True Repentance

I think true repentance is contrite and from the whole heart.  It is not repentance for fear of punishment.  I think Judas had this kind of repentance.  No one gets forgiven because of fear of punishment.  If you think about it, why should anyone fear punishment?  Jesus alone took our punishment upon the Cross.  There is a difference between besetting sins and habitual sins.  Besetting sins means that we sin but we repent afterwards.  Habitual sins means we sin and do not repent of our commission or omission of our sins.  In my opinion, this is also a definition between a true and false instructor of the written Word of God.

The OT and NT both speak plainly of repentance.  We must repent of our sins; however, repentance does not save nor is it meritorious; that is, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ saves alone.  We will all have to give an account before God in what we have done in the body.

Here are some questions to think about: have you accurately repented?  Do you keep short accounts with God?  I think one step between rebellion and liberty is repentance.  If you repent of your sins, you have learned godliness and holiness; however, if you do not repent after sin you are in rebellion against God.  Here are some Scriptures on repentance:
  
Job 42:6
Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Jeremiah 8:6
I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle.

Jeremiah 18:8
If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

Jeremiah 31:19
Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

Ezekiel 14:6
Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.

Ezekiel 18:30
Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Hosea 11:8
How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.

Matthew 3:2
And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.