The Son of Man came to seek and save that which was lost. It is Jesus' favorite title of Himself. I chosen this title because Jesus loved this title of Himself. We ought to never forget that Jesus is fully God and fully man: two natures in One Person. He is the God-man, the Incarnate Second Person of the Trinity. May we mediate on His life, death, burial, resurrection and ascension that we may be conformed to the image of the divine Son of Man! This blog web site will be a Christian defense of the Reformed doctrines of the Incarnate Son of Man. May all glory be to His name!

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Who is our Divine and Heavenly Intercessor?

Who is our "intercessor" according to Roman Catholicism?  Rome has a different view on who is our heavenly Advocate, because it is not Christ and the Spirit alone.  Let us see what her position is in light of her teachings.  Here is a quote from the Catholic Catechism on "another Advocate":
969 "This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation. . . . Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix."
Do the Holy Scriptures support this?  What does the Bible say about other "advocates?"  Is there more "advocates" then Christ and the Holy Spirit?  What should we think?  Let us turn to the Bible.  It speaks of one of the two greatest men in Bible history, but it speaks about their total inability or insufficient spiritual ability to intercede in behalf of the people.  Let us behold this fascinating Scripture verse:

 Jeremiah 15:1 NASB  
15 Then the Lord said to me, “Even though Moses and Samuel were to stand before Me, My heart would not be with this people; send them away from My presence and let them go!
What does the Bible say about Christ and the Holy Spirit?  We ought to turn to Christ and the Holy Spirit.  We ought to pray to God alone.   Here are the interesting Scripture verses:
 1 John 2:1 NASB
[ Christ Is Our Advocate ] My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
 John 14:16 KJV
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
 John 14:26 KJV
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
 John 15:26 KJV
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
 John 16:7 KJV
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.